Posts Tagged ‘Lakers’
It’s not often we can point at somebody’s faults and not feel guilty about doing so. Such is the case when talking about former Laker Mark Madsen’s victory parade moment when he not only gave validation to the claim that “white men can’t dance,” but gave a shout out to the Hispanic community in screaching style.
Yesterday, as the Lakers and Los Angeles celebrated the franchise’s 15th NBA Championship, EVERYONE was waiting for that “Mark Madsen moment.” As near as I can tell, it never came. The moment is preserved in historic nerd perspective and the loveable Madsen lives to write about it…as he did in today’s guest column in the LA Times.
Just as awkward as his parade moment…but good and funny!
I started getting nervous because that wasn’t what I’d planned for. But Shaq’s so funny. He was always coming up with stuff, sayings, like, “L.A. is the new capital of California, not Sacramento.” It was awesome.
As for my speech, I just wanted it to go quickly. Then all of a sudden, I hear Shaq off to the side saying: “Who let the dogs out?” Shaq is smart and funny and if he said it, I knew it would go over well.
And there was support from the Latino community and we wanted to acknowledge that. I saw our broadcasters and thought, “Hey, I know how to say a few things in Spanish. So why not?”
Mark Madsen’s Speech At 2001 Lakers Championship Parade
Be sure to catch the rest of the Times’ Mark Madsen’s Lakers parade memories are just a dance away.
Thank you, Mad Dog, for the memory. You have our hearts!
Yes, this is a Top 10 list, but to find the number one thing not to do after a Lakers championship win you’ll have to visit today’s Offbeat column at LA Church and State Examiner. Thanks for the additional click! Don’t worry, there are no strings attached…it’s just a way of support!
Top 10 Things Not To Do After a Lakers Championship Win
10. Set your hair on fire.
9. Rip off your Kobe jersey and go naked at your mother-in-law’s hosted Lakers party.
8. Call your friend in Orlando and say you are taking them off your “favorite five.”
7. Mistake a pack of eco-terrorists as Lakers fans and join them in a night of burning cars.
6. Bring marsh mellows to roast at your favorite street intersection bonfire.
5. Think rocking cars and flipping them over is the coolest thing since cow tipping.
4. Set your sister’s hair on fire.
3. Ask a cop in full riot gear to join you in a midnight game of HORSE.
2. Think the Second Amendment means it’s okay to shoot bullets into the air.
And the number one thing not to do after a Lakers Championship Win is…
Whether it be tonight or another night that the Lakers win the trophy…be safe L.A.!
There’s something that’s unbreakable. — Lakers’ Kobe Bryant on his relationship with Derek Fisher
Be sure to catch Today’s Sunday message: Lakers’ Derek Fisher and actions!